MARRIAGE LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- A couple must apply together, Monday through Friday, 8:00a.m. to 11:30a.m. and 1:00p.m. to 3:30p.m. at the Clerk of Peace Office 800 N. French Street, Wilmington, DE 19801.
- The marriage license fee is $50.00 + $20 recording fee if either applicant is a Delaware resident (proof of address is required); out of state residents will pay $100.00 + $20.00 recording fee if neither applicant is a Delaware resident.
- A third party translator is required if one of the parties does not speak English. The third party translator must have proper identification and must be at least 18 years of age.
- A marriage license will expire 30 days after being issued. The ceremony must take place in the State of Delaware for it to be considered legal.
- A marriage license must be obtained at least 24 hours prior to the wedding ceremony (Residents and Non-Residents).
- Identification requirements: A valid DMV issued ID/Driver's License, Passport, Consulate ID or Military ID (Active Military Duty) is required. ID must include date of birth. PROOF OF ADDRESS IS REQUIRED. To verify the authenticity of an applicant's identification, our office may also request additional documentation such as a birth certificate or social security card.
- The current name listed on your valid identification will be the name used for your marriage license.
- You will be asked to provide your parent's birth names (maiden), place of current residency and place of birth (state or country only) please have this information prior to applying.
- Our designated Wedding Day is Wednesday. Ceremonies are performed by appointment only. The ceremony fee for Delaware residents is $50.00 and $100.00 for out of state residents. All fees are due at the time of application and are non-refundable - cash/credit only. No ceremony appointments are scheduled over the telephone. To inquire about special scheduling, or for information, please call (302) 395-7780.
- If applicants have previously been married, an original or certified copy of the divorce decree, annulment, dissolution, or death certificate from the most recent marriage is required. A certified translation must be presented with original or certified documents that are not in English. You will need to know the dates of your previous marriage and where it took place. Please have this information available.
- Special written authorization to marry is required for applicants on probation or parole before applying. The couple should contact probation or parole before they apply for the marriage license.
- APPLICANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE TO MARRY IN THE STATE OF DELAWARE.
- You cannot be related to each other.
- You cannot be under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of application or during a wedding ceremony.
- Marriage license gift certificates are also available.
- Couples getting married in New Castle County are encouraged to make certain that the person performing their wedding ceremony is authorized to do so. Please see the List of Suspended Officiators.
- You will be asked to verify the accuracy of the information on the marriage license before it is issued to ensure all the information provided is accurate and spelled correctly at the time of application. Any corrections made after license has been recorded may require a certified copy fee.
Effective July 1, 2013, same sex marriages became legal in Delaware.