Certified Copies of Records

Ordering Online

If your marriage or civil union license was obtained in New Castle County you can purchase a certified copy from the Clerk of the Peace Office or online for $25. If ordering online, be sure to specify which copy you need, marriage or civil union.

Ordering in Person

A valid state I.D. or driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport, military I.D., or government consulate I.D. is required to obtain a certified copy of your marriage or civil union license in person. Certified copies will be issued to only the parties listed on the license. An attorney or power of attorney (proof is required) can also make the request on behalf of the parties. Any record 40 years old or older are a matter of public record and can be purchased by anyone.

Ordering by Mail

If ordering your copy by U.S. mail, your certified check payment/money order must bear the name of the parties indicated on the marriage or civil union license. Your written request must include:

  • Both participants full name at the time of the application for license
  • Payment must be a Money Order or Certified Check payable to: Clerk of the Peace No personal checks will be accepted.
  • Date of ceremony
  • A daytime telephone number where you can be reached
  • Indicate type of license marriage or civil union
  • A self addressed, stamped legal size return envelope
  • Signature of applicant

Make a $25 payment for each requested copy with a money order or certified check (no personal checks will be accepted) payable to: Clerk of the Peace. Forward your signed, written request to:
Clerk of the Peace
800 N. French St.
Second Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801

Couples getting married in New Castle County are encouraged to make certain that the person performing their wedding ceremony is authorized to do so. Please visit our listing of "Suspended Officiators" on this page.