- Executive Office
- College Scholarship
New Castle County Scholarship
2023 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM NOW OPEN!
New Castle County is committed to supporting students pursuing undergraduate college degrees with scholarships to help defray their educational costs. This program will offer awards of $500 to $3,000. To be eligible you must be a New Castle County resident who is currently enrolled or who will attend an accredited College or University in the Fall of 2023. The deadline to submit an application is March 24, 2023.
1. Must reside in New Castle County (including within the City of Wilmington or other municipalities)
2. Must demonstrate financial need and provide supporting evidence by submitting the following:
- FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Most recent filed 1040 Tax Return
- Benefits Verification letter or statement
3. Candidates must be pursuing or currently enrolled in an accredited post-secondary undergraduate degree program OR be a graduating high school senior who has been accepted to attend an accredited post-secondary degree program starting in Fall 2023.
Family members (of the applicant) who are also enrolled in post-secondary degree programs are encouraged to apply. Submitting multiple applications from the same household is acceptable.
Click here for the online application. Applicants are required to describe financial needs and upload a transcript and essay. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be considered. Finalists invited to interview will be required to provide a formal headshot.
Please note: You must complete the entire application and upload all documents. Completing the online application can take up to 30 minutes; submissions will not be saved for later review, so we encourage applicants to have all relevant materials ready when beginning the online application.
There are three categories of eligible students:
- Traditional Student- A current high school senior attending an accredited college or university in the fall following their graduation year.
- Current College Student - A current university student who enrolled right after high school completion (or) earning a graduation equivalency diploma.
- Adult Learner An independent adult returning or attending an accredited college or university.
NOTE: Certificate and graduate programs do not meet the criteria for this scholarship
Essay topics: Choose ONE of the following (1000 words maximum):
1. Share your Personal Statement.
2. Pick an experience from your life and explain how it has influenced your personal development.
3. Who is your biggest influence and why?
4. How has your family background or adversity affected your outlook on the world?
5. How has education contributed to who you are today?
6. Why are you a good candidate to receive this award?
Deadline: Online applications must be submitted by March 24, 2023 at 11:59pm.
A committee of local educators and community leaders will review applications. Finalists will be invited to interview via teleconference with the scholarship committee in April. Winners will be announced at an award ceremony in May and awards will be dispersed directly to the higher institution on or around August 31st.
Contact Josue Ortega at [email protected] with questions.