New Castle County Executive Meyer to support emergency tax relief ordinances for residents
On March 31, 2020, New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced that he will support a slate of emergency ordinances that will help ease the financial burden on New Castle County residents through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. County Executive Meyer will also waive certain fines and fees through County Executive administrative powers. The emergency ordinance is expected to go into effect immediately.
“We’re all searching ways to do our part,” said County Executive Meyer. “I am happy to support these emergency ordinances as well as enact the executive orders to help some of our taxpayers in a challenging time.”
The fines and fees suspended through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic enacted by the emergency ordinances include:
- Suspension of monthly penalty charges on unpaid sewer fees for residential accounts only
- Waiving returned check fees
- Waiving any library fines and fees
- Suspending collections of county accommodations tax
- Waiving any fees for building permits for signs
“I am happy we could come together and offer New Castle County residents this little bit of relief during this difficult time,” said District 11 County Councilman David Tackett. “I look forward to working with my Council colleagues and County Executive Meyer to find other ways we can help unburden our citizens in this time of uncertainty.”
The County Executive, through executive order, will waive the following taxes and fees:
- Waiving Maintenance Corporation Billing Service fees
- Waive credit card fees for all tax and sewer payments made for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place
The executive order will also suspend Sheriff sales for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place.
Check Your Payment Status
You can access your sewer bill information and payment status online to obtain detailed account information including payment history for both sewer service billing and taxes.
2020 Residential Sewer Service Billing Schedule
The 2020 residential sewer bills were mailed the third week of January and will be due Monday, March 2, 2020. If you do not receive your bill by February 7, please contact New Castle County at 395-5340. Sewer bills are also available to view, download, and print through our Parcel View system.
Methods of Payment
- Walk-in payments are accepted at the New Castle County Government Center, located at 87 Reads Way in New Castle. Payments by cash, check, money order, and debit card are accepted. The payment window is open between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- A drop box is also available for making check and money order payments 24 hours a day at the main entrance of the New Castle County Government Center.
- If you lose or misplace the self-addressed envelope that was sent with the bills, you can mail your payment to:
(PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW MAILING ADDRESS EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2019)
New Castle County
P.O. Box 781177
Philadelphia, PA 19178-1177
- The address above is an electronic payment processor. DO NOT postdate your check, as it will not affect the processing date. Your check will be processed when received. Please sign your check as well. If you pay your bill through your online banking application, please be sure to update our mailing address.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
- Major credit cards are accepted through Paymentus, a third-party company that accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and electronic check. You can pay your residential sewer service bill online by clicking here, or by calling Paymentus toll-free at 877-225-7351. Paymentus charges users a service fee of $5.25 for each transaction per $650 increment; however, County Executive Matt Meyer continues to strive to keep constituents safe during the COVID-19 pandemic and is currently waiving service fees. If you are paying more than $650, you will be required to pay with multiple transactions when using this service. If you have any questions concerning making payments through Paymentus, you may call their Customer Contact Center at 800-420-1663.
All residential properties connected to the New Castle County sewer system are billed on an annual basis. This billing is mailed out once a year in January in advance for the current calendar year. For example, sewer service bills that were due February 28, 2020 covered the calendar year ending December 31, 2020. Sewer service bills are based on a property’s actual water usage over a prior 12-month period. The property’s water company provides this information to New Castle County.
Pre-Payment of Sewer Service Charges
In an effort to assist customers in managing the amount of their annual sewer bill amounts, New Castle County allows you to pay on your account in advance. PLEASE NOTE: This option is available ONLY if you have a zero balance on your account. If you cannot pay a current or delinquent bill in full and wish to set up a payment arrangement plan, call our customer service department at 302-395-5340.
Any advance payment made will post to your account as a credit and apply to the next bill generated on your account. The County accepts “pre-payments” by all accepted payment types listed in the above “Methods of Payment” section.
You may also choose to make pre-payments through an online payment service, possibly through your bank. If you choose to make payments to us in this manner, you will need to have your account number (for sewer bills, this is referred to as your “parcel number”), and our name and mailing address for payments.
You may get your account/parcel number from your bill or from our website. You may search for your account/parcel number on our website with your property address.
Mailing address (For a SEWER payment):
New Castle County
P.O. Box 781177
Philadelphia, PA 19178-1177
Monthly Installment Option
If your account is in good standing (no delinquent balance owed) and you wish to pre-pay your sewer service fees in lower monthly installments rather than one lump sum, New Castle County now offers this convenient option. Pre-payments can be made either by automatic debit through your checking or savings account, or by mailing in monthly payments by check. Click here for more information.
Refund of Tax or Sewer Charges Paid in Error
If you believe you paid New Castle County property tax or sewer service fees in error, you can request a refund by completing this form (PDF). Download the form, complete it, save it to your computer, and then email it to: