New Castle County Executive Meyer to support emergency tax relief ordinances for residents
On March 31, 2020, New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced that he will support a slate of emergency ordinances that will help ease the financial burden on New Castle County residents through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. County Executive Meyer will also waive certain fines and fees through County Executive administrative powers. The emergency ordinance is expected to go into effect immediately.
“We’re all searching ways to do our part,” said County Executive Meyer. “I am happy to support these emergency ordinances as well as enact the executive orders to help some of our taxpayers in a challenging time.”
The fines and fees suspended through the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic enacted by the emergency ordinances include:
- Suspension of monthly penalty charges on unpaid sewer fees for residential accounts only
- Waiving returned check fees
- Waiving any library fines and fees
- Suspending collections of county accommodations tax
- Waiving any fees for building permits for signs
“I am happy we could come together and offer New Castle County residents this little bit of relief during this difficult time,” said District 11 County Councilman David Tackett. “I look forward to working with my Council colleagues and County Executive Meyer to find other ways we can help unburden our citizens in this time of uncertainty.”
The County Executive, through executive order, will waive the following taxes and fees:
- Waiving Maintenance Corporation Billing Service fees
- Waive credit card fees for all tax and sewer payments made for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place
The executive order will also suspend Sheriff sales for so long as the state emergency declaration is in place.
Questions about your tax bill?
Many questions you may have regarding your property tax bill can be answered by clicking here. It opens a sample tax bill with detailed explanations about various parts of the bill. PLEASE NOTE: for best results, use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
If you have additional questions, our customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. by calling 302-395-5340.
Check Your Payment Status
Taxpayers can access their property tax information and payment status online. Property owners who misplace or who do not receive their bills can download a printable version via the site, which also provides detailed account information including payment history and a breakout of specific charges for property, school, light, & crossing guard taxes. If your tax bills are paid by a mortgage company or bank, you are still responsible to make sure the bill is paid.
Methods of Payment
- Walk-in payments are accepted at the New Castle County Government Center, located at 87 Reads Way in New Castle. Payments by cash, check, money order, and debit card are accepted. The payment window is open between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- A drop box is also available for making check and money order payments 24 hours a day at the main entrance of the New Castle County Government Center.
- If you lose or misplace the self-addressed envelope that was sent with the bills, you can mail your payment to:
(PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW MAILING ADDRESS EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2019)
New Castle County
P.O. Box 782888
Philadelphia, PA 19178-2888
- The address above is an electronic payment processor. DO NOT postdate your check, as it will not affect the processing date. Your check will be processed when received. Please sign your check as well. If you pay your bill through your online banking application, please be sure to update our mailing address.
CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS
- Major credit cards are accepted through Paymentus, a third-party company that accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and electronic check. You can pay your property and/or school tax online by clicking here, or by calling Paymentus toll-free at 877-225-7351. Paymentus normally charges users a service fee equal to 2.5% of the total payment; however, County Executive Matt Meyer continues to strive to keep constituents safe during the COVID-19 pandemic and is currently waiving service fees. If you have any questions concerning making payments through Paymentus, you may call their Customer Contact Center at 800-420-1663.
The 2021 tax billing statements will be mailed during the third week of July 2021 If you do not receive your bill by August 9, call the New Castle County billing information line at 302-395-5340.
Both New Castle County and local school property taxes will be due Thursday, September 30, 2021. Any balances that remain on accounts as of October 1, 2021 are subject to a 6% penalty on County line items, a 5% penalty on school line items, and a 1% penalty for all line items each month thereafter.
Take a look at important tax dates (PDF) for more information.
Pre-Payment of Property Taxes
In an effort to assist customers in reducing the amount owed at the time of their annual property and school tax bill, New Castle County allows you to pay on your parcel or account in advance. Advance payments or pre-payments will be posted as a credit and applied to the next bill generated for your account.
The accepted method of payment for “Pre-Payments” include:
- Monthly automatic payments (ACH) debited from your checking or savings account.
- This option is managed through the New Castle County Office of Finance Treasury Unit. To learn more, please click here.
- Using an online payment service provider, such as your banking institution.
- Checks or Money Orders mailed/delivered to NCC.
Pre-Payments mailed to NCC should be sent to the address below. These payments should include the account or parcel number and be made payable to:
New Castle County
P.O. Box 782888
Philadelphia, PA 19178-2888
To obtain your account or parcel number, or to review account information click here to use our website to search for your property.
Refund of Tax or Sewer Charges Paid in Error
If you believe you paid New Castle County property tax or sewer service fees in error, you can request a refund by completing this form (PDF). Download the form, complete it, save it to your computer, and then email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
View the current residential and commercial tax rates (PDF) for the 2020 - 2021 tax year.