Figure Out What Permits You Need

Do you need a permit?

All construction activity including new buildings, interior and exterior improvements, alterations, and most repairs requires a permit unless the work is specifically exempted by the New Castle County Code, Chapter Six, Section 06.03.012 (Permits). Work that may be performed without a permit can be found in our Work Exempt from Permit form. If your project does not appear on this list of exempt work, you should assume that a permit is required. If you’re still unsure and would like to discuss your project, please give us a call at 302-395-5400.

New Castle County does not permit or inspect electrical work. State of Delaware licensed electricians are required to have their electrical work inspected by a licensed Inspection Agency. Homeowners may obtain electrical permits from the State of Delaware if the work is being completed by the owner-occupant. Information for homeowner permits and the list of licensed Inspection Agencies is available at:

New and/or modified sidewalks and driveways may require a DelDOT entrance permit. Information is available at:

Deed restrictions may exist for your community. It is the responsibility of the property owner to review any deed restrictions prior to submitting permit applications.

Types of Permits:

Non-Residential Building and/or Addition
New non-residential buildings and additions, projects that create GFA (gross floor area) 

Non-Residential Tenant Fitout and/or Renovation
Non-residential tenant fitouts, interior/exterior renovations, cell towers, roof replacement, gazebos/pavilions, projects that do not create GFA (gross floor area)

Single Family Dwelling
New single family dwelling construction, detached accessory dwelling unit (ADU) 

Residential Addition and/or Renovation
Residential additions, renovations, finished basements, decks, porches, sunrooms, attached accessory dwelling unit (ADU), and more

Residential and non-residential demolition projects involving partial and complete structures

Swimming Pool, Spa, Hot Tub
Swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs 

Ground, wall, EVM, and off premise signs

Plumbing and HVAC permits

Temporary construction/office trailers, manufactured homes in manufactured home parks, certificates of use, and certificates of agricultural use