New Castle, DE – New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer, along with Col. Vaughn Bond (New Castle County Police), Mark R. Logemann, Acting Chief (Emergency Medical Services), Chief Jeff Miller (Chief of Emergency Communications), Dave Carpenter (Emergency Management), Tracy Surles (Director of Public Works), Marcus Henry (Director of Community Services), and Mike Hojnicki (Chief of Technology & Administrative Services) announced actions New Castle County government will be taking to protect the County’s 1,900 employees, and the nearly 600,000 county residents.
County Executive Meyer announced the following (All are effective as of 8 am this morning (unless otherwise noted):
- Effective Monday at 8 a.m., all County libraries will be closed to the public. All library programs are suspended until further notice. Library meeting rooms (including Brandywine Town Center) will be closed for meetings until further notice.
- All county programs at the Absalom Jones Community Center will be suspended until further notice, including senior center and art studio and after school program. We are coordinating with outside agencies to fill services for seniors.
- All county sports leagues and recreational programs will be suspended until further notice including programs at all County recreation centers.
- All tours and programs at Rockwood Museum will be suspended until further notice.
- Many County programs held at the Garfield and Hockessin PALs will be suspended until further notice.
- All County programs at Carousel Park are suspended until further notice.
- Every employee and member of the public will be required to use hand sanitizer or wash their hands upon entering any County facility.
- County parks will remain open.
- More frequent cleaning of work areas, including after every shift in 911, in various public-facing areas of the Public Safety Building and in the Connor Building, at Government Center, at the Gilliam Building, in the City/County Building and at each of our libraries.