NEW CASTLE – New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer announced today that the draft New Castle County Comprehensive Plan (NCC@2050) is available for review and comment. The plan can be downloaded here.
Over the past 18 months, New Castle County staff have worked with subject matter experts, stakeholders, and community partners to create a blueprint for New Castle County’s growth between now and 2050. The plan addresses issues such as future growth, climate change and housing to ensure our communities’ strength and vibrancy in protecting the environment. New Castle County asks the community to review the first full draft of NCC@2050 and encourages you to provide the authors comments between now and January 12, 2022. New Castle County will then proceed refining the draft and readying it for formal consideration for adoption in the spring
“Two years ago, our Land Use team undertook a public, transparent process, involving community leaders, neighbors, businesses and students to hear what they wanted their County to look like for future generations,” said New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer. “I am proud of the process and the plan, and I look forward to hearing additional comments from our constituents.”
“In New Castle County, we’re faced with incredible challenges, and opportunities, to ensure our community remains a desirable place to live, work, and raise a family,” said New Castle County’s General Manager of Land Use, Rich Hall. “We have a duty to future generations to protect our environment, provide ample space for recreation, and places for businesses to expand. I personally want to thank the entire land use team, and all of our stakeholders and groups who participated in the process over the last two years.”
Here is how the public can participate in continuing to shape the final plan:
- December 9th or 15th for Public Forum 3: we will be discussing the draft NCC@2050 Comprehensive Plan: Please click on your preferred date and register: December 9th (in-person) and December 15th (virtual).
- Review the draft and submit your comments by January 12: follow this link to the draft NCC@2050 Comprehensive Plan on the web where you can view/download any of the plan chapters and comment by email. (If you or someone you know is not able to access through the web, please contact us and we can get you a printed copy. Email NCC2050@newcastlede.gov or call 302-395-5400.
- Share with others! The plan website has a full range of project highlights and details: NCC2050.NewCastleDE.gov
About the draft NCC@2050 Plan
This is what readers will see in the draft plan:
- An introductory overview of the process;
- Plan priorities, including a detailed listing of strategies for action;
- The draft future land use map and other associated maps;
- Background on the conditions of New Castle County and analysis that informed this planning effort; and
- Summaries of the extensive public engagement efforts.
- Some components of the draft are more specific and fully developed than others, especially the case in Chapter B (Plan Priorities and Signature Strategies) and Chapter C (Future Land Use and Implementation). Additional details will be added over the coming months.
The draft is the result of 11 public meetings, dozens of community and stakeholder meetings, and thousands of website and web survey interactions.