HOCKESSIN – New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer, joined by New Castle County’s Chief of Technology and Administrative Services Mike Hojnicki, announced yesterday that the County will be accepting proposals for carriers for the County’s newest three cellular towers. New Castle County selected the tower location based off a study that was conducted last year. The map of coverage is attached.
A mandatory pre-bid meeting will take place Thursday, August 16 at noon with proposals deadline September 6.
The locations of the towers will be placed on New Castle County property in Middletown (Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant at 810 Old Corbit Road, Middletown), at the Hockessin PAL (7259 Lancaster Pike, Hockessin), and Back Creek Drive (112 Back Creek Drive, Middletown, DE). The funding for these three towers come from $1.3m in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) dollars.
The press conference can be viewed here.
“We’re thankful for the ARPA investments from President Biden, Senators Tom Carper, Chris Coons and Representative Blunt Rochester for their efforts to get these resources to Delawareans,” said County Executive Matt Meyer. “We’re going to ensure we get the highest quality proposals for the best value for our taxpayers.”
“Getting these towers up and operational is a public safety issue as well as a quality of life issue, and it’s up to us to work to find a solution, said CTO Mike Hojnicki. “This isn’t the solution, but it’s the beginning of one.”
Coverage on the announcement
Plans announced to fix cell service dead zones in Hockessin and Middletown areas
By Molly McVety, Delaware Online
New Castle County to improve cell coverage
By Mike Phillips, WDEL
New Castle County is taking a step to address cellular coverage gaps
Quinn Kirkpatrick, Delaware Public Media